Archive for the ‘Roofing & Flooring’ Category
Want to maintain one of the largest parts of your home. I know you might be thinking that for what matters I am talking about right? Well, it I considered and the matters of maintaining your roof. Once installing your roof is not only the important but there are many other things which the home owners are required to be followed. Well, if you will ask me than in accordance to my views, installing a roof is considered to be difficult but maintaining your roof is another important thing and the process which the home owners are required to be following because it is going to help the home owners only.
The main subject of this article is to provide you with all the information about the process and the tips of maintaining your roof which you can go for at your home. Well, if you will ask me than there are many things which you need to take in to consideration at the time of going for maintaining your roofing which is being installed in your home are like the materials which you are going to need, replacing of the damaged shingles with the new ones, safety measures, etc. and many more of such things which you need to keep in mind at the time of going for maintaining your roof at your home.
How to maintain your roof
- There are many ways and many things which are considered at the time of maintaining your roof which is the job of the home owners. But as we need to start up with certain point than the first thing which the home owners are needed to go with is to check for the safety measures which is the mandate thing to be followed by the home owners because they have to climb up in the surface of the roof to clean and maintain it.
- Removal of debris is considered in the category of maintaining your roof. Remove up all the branches and the leaves which are being present on your roof. Many a times there might be possibility that because of this debris your shingles which has been installed in the roof gets damaged and this creates a bigger issue for the home owners. Accumulated debris must be removed from the roof.
- Maintaining your roof includes general inspection and repairing of the damage shingles which are being installed in there. Many times it is being seen that the shingles which has been installed in the roof gets damages with what so ever reason but it must be repaired as early as possible because if this shingles are not being replaced that it may affect the other shingles which has been installed n this will result in increasing the costing factors of the home owners.
- Removing the old or the damaged shingle with the new one is the thing which the home owners are needed to comply with in their roof. You can also take the help of the power washer to remove all the unwanted things which are affecting your roof.
We all know there are plenty of roofing styles these days. However, it is still easy to get confused and overwhelmed when you are deciding on what kind of roof structure to install on your house. In order to find the right roofing system, make sure you look at all your options and analyze each one in order to determine which one is the best for your house. In order to do that, you’ll probably need to understand the pros and cons of some different styles of roof structure. Here are some types of roof styles
Gable roof style
Usually known as the peaked roof or pitched roof, the gable roof is very popular and can be identified easily. The reason behind its easy identification is its triangular shape. Gable roofs have a shape like an inverted V. It is commonly used because of its offering of greater attic space.
- Gable roofs easily shed snow and water.
- It is a good provider of attic space and ventilation.
- There is ease in building along with simple design and structure.
- It is cheaper when compared to other styles of roofing.
- It does not handle high winds and hurricanes well.
- If the frame fails to be properly constructed, chances are high that the roof will collapse.
- Excessive wind can cause the roof material to peel away from the gable.
- Generally any material can work.
- To avoid leaks, use metal in the valleys of the roof.
Hip roof style
Shaped like a pyramid, all the sides of a hip roof slope downwards to the walls. The house is divided from the center line with two triangular sides and two trapezoidal sides. These roofs are generally seen in cottages and bungalows.
- This roof style is more durable and strong because of its inward slope at all four sides.
- This roof style does easily collect snow and water because of its slope. All the water and snow slides off the roof due to the slope. Thus it is a perfect fit in areas bearing heavy rain and snowfall.
- It provides added space for attics and vaulted ceilings.
- It is good container of ventilation and also offers extra space for adding dormers
- It provides added space for attic and vaulted ceiling.
- It is good container of ventilations and also offers extra space for adding up dormers.
- This roof style is more durable and strong because of its inward slope at all four sides.
- It is expensive.
- Construction and design is complex and thus it needs more materials for building.
- If the roofing system is not appropriately installed then the additional seams are prone to develop leaks.
Any type of roofing material can work.
Mansard roof style
According to the experts at Summit Point roofing, this style of roof was developed by the French architect Francoise Mansart. It is a gambrel style hip roof. It is four sided and has two slopes on each of its sides.
- It is easy to put an addition on.
- It is simple to construct and design.
- It is flexible as changes can be made according to need and demand.
- It is not suitable for those areas experiencing heavy rainfall.
- This type of roofing is comparatively expensive.
- Metals like copper and zinc are suggested for the steep part of the roof. It is low maintenance because of its durability.
- Wood and slate shingles in a diamond pattern will make mansard roofing stand out.
Roof is like the heart of the house. Houses are built for shelter. Imagine your house without roof it would fail to fulfill its basic objective of shelter. Thus roof is the one which gives shelter to us. It not only protects you, it protects all the things that lies under it, your family, your things and much more. Thus choose your roofing properly. If you have found your dream home and you have no intention to sell it then you can make heavy investment in your roof. You can go for clay tiles, natural slate or concrete tiles.
Clay tiles: sturdy Mediterranean look
There are several benefits of clay tiles. Along with offering a cool trendy Mediterranean look, clay tiles also keep your house cool in summer days. The reason behind keeping home cooler is that instead of absorbing heat of sun, it reflects the heat and makes your home heat free. Clay roofs have a great durability factor along with great weather resistance power. They are also picturesque. Clay tiles have a capacity to last nearly a century. This is one of the attractive factors of clay roofing. Clay roofs are generally related with the Mediterranean weather and it’s also well flourished in the parts of Florida and California. To a fact of shock, these clay tiles are also adapted in the regions of north where there is harsh winters with the help of process of hard firing. Those clay roofs which are adapted in these ways are rated in the category of ASTM grade 1. There are several other benefits of clay roofs like fireproof, durable, energy efficient. They are also proof for insect damage, mildew, rot and mold factors.
Concrete tiles roofs: Durable and Affordable
As compared to the clay tile roofing, concrete tiles are less expensive and hence they are cost effective. Concrete tiles roof also offers good durability. It can last till the life of your house. As it is less expensive, it lacks the natural beauty of clay tiles. Concrete tiles can be designed in way to look like wooden roofs, slate roofs or like clay roofs. Concrete roofs are available in various colors and pigments. As per the weight factor, concrete roofs are heavier and needs tough support system. There is a drawback of concrete roofs. If they are not properly sealed, they are prone to water leakage. It also needs regular power washing if you want to keep it away from moss and unsightly algae.
Slate roofing: undeniable quality
Slate roofing offers eye widening beauty along with longetivity. Along with this it also offers several advantages say rain resistant, snow resistant, unaffected to mildew and mold and is also non combustible. Other highlighting characteristics are low maintenance and repair cost. It possess the capacity to adapt any architectural style along with availability in varied colors say for black, grey, blue, red, green and many more. Tiles of blended colors are also available. By offering this many benefits, you cannot expect cost effectiveness. It is a expensive roofing. It’s costing sets 5 times higher than other roofing materials.
Roofing is considered to be the most important part whiles the construction of the house. There are many matters which are kept in mind at the time of constructing the roof. Experienced and knowledgeable roofing contractor must be selected for the roofing because it will be advantageous to the home owners. Hiring a proper roofing contractor will comply with his functions properly regarding the installation of roof. There are special three R’s of roofing which gives us the knowledge and exact idea about which matters must be kept in mind at the time of constructing and structuring the roof. The three R’s of roofing are R1- roof repair, R2- roof restoration, and R3- replacement. This article will help you to determine the aspects regarding the roofing measure which you should keep in mind at the time of installing the roof in your home.
R1- Roof Repair
Every roof at some point of time needs proper maintenance and care but if these things are not supplied to the roof than it can create damages and leaks in the roof. These leaks are to be filled with the appropriate materials so that it does not damage the interiors of the home. Most of the roof leaks are seen in the flashing area of the roof or near the chimney, the ventilation arena, the window section in the roof, etc. and ninety percentages of the roofing problems are arrived from the chimney and the flashing area in the roof. These leaks in the roof must be repaired or it will damage the roof in extremes.
Roof repairs is cheap and effective as compared to roof replacement because in roof replacement whole roof is changes and new roof is installed but in roof repair only the part or the section in which the roof is damaged is repaired and made well to be functional.
R2- Roof Restoration
Roof restoration means maintenance of roof, inspection of roof, cleaning of roof, roof coating, filling the roof leaks, etc. In simple words roof restoration mean taking the optimum concern towards the roof. Roof restoration is different from roof replacement because in roof replacement the roof is replaced and in roof restoration the roof is managed in a proper way and restored to increase the functionality of the roof.
There are many benefits of roof restoration which will be helpful to the homeowners of taking the decision of roof restoring than of roof replacement. Installing a roof restoration will increase the life of the old roof which was installed in earlier time.
R3- Roof Replacement
Whenever the roof is old enough and has no options of roof restoration or repair than the role of roof replacement comes into consideration. At some point of time it is mandate to change or replace the roof for the better functions and maintenance of the roof. When your roof has crossed the limit of twenty years, you should determine that it is the time to replace your roof in the home. If the roof is not replaced than it can create more damage to the interiors of the home.
There are many advantages which can prove helpful to the home as well as the home owners. Replacing a roof will enter in the description of long term advantages to the home. The problem of replacing or the issues regarding roofing is solved with the help of replacing the roof.